Sunday, May 31, 2009

Love Passed On


We were recently honored with a commission for a small quilt. One of our clients who was about to be a grandmother for the first time asked us to create this wonderful wall hanging. Debbie wanted her new granddaughter to have a part of her life forever. She brought us her 30 year old wedding gown and asked us to cut it apart(!!) and use the bodice and lace on the sleeves to make this meaningful connection through the generations. We chose a design which would reflect the love and joy of a wedding day coupled with the love and joy of the birth of a child. Do you think we succeeded? Debbie seemed to think so since she gave us the greatest gift of all by shedding tears of joy and pleasure when she first saw the quilt.

I have my wedding dress of 35 years ago still hanging in my closet and I bet many of you too have the same situation. When my son gets married and has his first child, I just may take advantage of Debbie's wonderful idea and make some real generational use of the fabric in my dress. Think about for yourself too. Pass on the love.